Terms Of Use

Monday, July 14, 2008

Wildflowers In My Garden

This year I let some of the unknown weeds in my garden grow, just to see what they actually were. To my pleasant surprise I discovered ~ wildflowers!
Lady Bells
Evening Primrose~Oenothera biennis
unknown~ yet to be identified
Red Clover~ Trifolium pratense
Creeping White Clover~Trifolium repens
Hop Clover~ Trifolium aureum
unknown~ yet to be identified
Daisy Fleabane~ Erigeron annus
?vetch
Queen Anne's Lace~ Daucus carota

My father had a passion for wildflowers. While he foraged in the woods looking for beautiful wildflowers to photograph, I spent time in my garden enthralled by my beautiful daylilies. Our passions were different, yet similar.

My last conversation with my dad, three months ago, was about his love for wildflowers. That day he taught me to look at these plants in a different way. He said that most people don't even see their beautiful faces and walk right over them on their journey.

Part of the legacy that my dad left me was the ability to be passionate about life. I now have yet another new passion to add to the rest:). Each summer day brings about a new opportunity to discover hidden beauty in the tiniest faces of wildflowers.

7 comments:

ChrisND said...

Some great pictures...I like the purple "Yet to be identified".

That's why I almost always let unknowns in certain areas grow...to see what I get. Although I also learned that if it is outgrowing everything else at a fast pace, then I will probably consider it a weed.

Daphne Gould said...

The one you have labeled as ?brass buttons, looks like chamomile to me. Look at the foliage to make sure.

chey said...

Chris~ It certainly is interesting to see what you get. I hear you about the weeds as well:).

Daphne~ I think the foliage may be chamomile-like. However, is there a variety of chamomile without petals? This plant seems to be void of,or have at least insignificant petals.

Safi Crafts said...

A lovely post Chey. I found the "brass buttons" flower growing in my alley here yesterday and it reminded me of my childhood in NB. I'm not sure what it's real name is.

Anonymous said...

Superb photos, Chey. I'd guess that your first "unknown" is pineapple weed (Matricaria discoidea). I hope you get an ID for the blue one; I have something very similar growing in my meadow and would love to find out what it is.

chey said...

Nan~ Thank you so much! I looked up Pineapple Weed, and that's exactly what it is. Daphne was right~ they do look somewhat like chamomile, and are in fact related according to the info that I read. Thanks for the expertise!!

Jean~ Thanks so much! That plant formerly known as ?brass-buttons is in fact Pineapple Weed. It's neat how certain plants and flowers remind us of our childhood:).

Philip Bewley said...

I love wildflowers. Your photos are really beautiful.
Best,
Philip